Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Because I Had the Thyme

Until I have time to write a whole post about one of my favorite meals, my "soup meal", here's my version of split pea soup.

I grew some herbs last year, but this year I didn't take the time, not even to grow basil, so when I put out the money to buy them (fresh herbs), I like to use them up! So, I had some fresh thyme, and since I make my split pea soup with water, I don't have to use my precious home made stock, I picked up a package of peas and a smoked turkey thigh at Whole Foods (only about $5.00 for a ton of meat!), and I almost always have the rest of the ingredients on hand so it's been one of my staple soups since the beginning.

I had beet greens that needed to be used up so I cut them across the width into strips, and when the soup was done I stirred them in after the heat was turned off, they wilt as easily as spinach, (another veg you could add).

Tracy's Smoked Turkey Thigh and Pea Soup with Beet Greens

Heat in lg soup pot,
olive oil (2 tbl.)

Add, diced
onion (2)
carrot (2)
celery (2-3)
cook for 5-8 min. ,

add minced or chopped
garlic (4-5 cloves)

cook additional 1-2 min., add 6-8 cups water and
16oz. pkg yellow peas
lg. smoked turkey thigh
thyme (whole sprigs, sm bunch)
parsley (chopped rough about 2 tbl.)

Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until peas are soft. Add salt and plenty of pepper to season. Serve with lemon wedges.

Optional, stir in beet greens after heat is turned off.

I froze 1/2 of this soup, the rest is portioned out for lunches. I like to mix 1/2 pea soup with 1/2 veg soup for a thinner soup and more veggies!

More beet and beet green recipes and pics to come.

Life is good, fresh food is good.

8 comments:

Kori Bliffert, NASM-CPT said...

Wow Tracy that looks great...and I am not a big fan of pea soup. But I am going to try that one. Do you ever make stuff in a crock-pot? When it gets cold here in Wisconsin I am using mine at least 3-4 times a week.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Kori, You know, alot of people don't care for split pea, I don't know why? Especially if you use turkey instead of ham it may be a wee bit healthier, lol.

Crock pot cooking is something that I'll get around to one of these days, also, I want to start using my pressure cooker, but it's kind of scary!

Using a crock pot to braise meat is a super time saver, but I don't like cooking veggies to death!

I love cold weather cooking.

Royce said...

Damn that looks tastey. Split-pea soup and ham hocks were a staple aound our house growing up.
There would be 3 feet of snow on the ground and mom would break out the split pea soup. Warms you right up!!

leslie said...

I'll be right over for dinner! :)

Look fab, Tracy, as always!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Royce, I know it's more of a cold weather soup, but so what! It's always been a favorite of mine.....with the ham hocks, of course, served with cornbread and fried potatoes!

Cindy said...

I love split pea soup and using a smoked turkey thigh sounds awesome! If it wasn't 90 degrees here in SoCal I would make it today.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Cindy,

It's been pretty hot here too! But I do most of my cooking early, early in the morning (90% of the time). That's when I have the most energy AND I'm not hungry, so I don't "eat as I go".

Christine said...

I love split pea soup. I'll have to try this for when the weather gets colder here.