Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Are you trying to tell me that she got all that muscle just swinging a kettlebell?"


That's the quote from a post on a forum known for it's negativity that has implied that my muscle increases have been from something other than kettlebell training....what? Why anyone would think I would lie about this I don't know, (in fact I find it laughable), but I can say without a doubt that ALL the muscle that I have put on in my shoulders and arms specifically has come from my kettlebell workouts and my style of training. My style of training is hard, fast and intense...I think that's known as HARDSTYLE!

I have documented 99% of all of my training, not just detailed workouts, but also details of my diet. I have said numerous times that my diet is responsible for the size of my body, but kettlebell training is responsible for the compostion of my body. Nothing in my experience has gotten me leaner and more muscular, at the same time! I design my own workouts specifically to maximize these effects.

I often tell people, "If there was something better...I would be doing it!"

I train consistently 3-4 times a week for 30-60 min with kettlebells. I have NOT stepped foot on a stairmaster/treadmill/eliptical machine, nor do I own a gym membership in over 10 years. All my KB training takes place in my garage or outdoors, (although I have been known to swing in my kitchen!)

I love the 2 handed swing, and credit it for my shoulder development. I routinely get "a pump" in my shoulders from this movement, even more than snatches or presses.

I try and do multiple sets of bottoms up cleans for my biceps, in fact I just started using the 16kg for this exercise.

Even my legs, (quads and hamstrings) are "cut".

I go to Bikram yoga 2-3 times a week for flexibility and stabilty.

And I try and walk 4 times a week for up to and hour, as a form of "active recovery", as well as burning extra calories. My walks also give me the opportunity to meditate and reflect on my day/week/life.

This is exactly what I do! In fact the whole reason I started blogging is because people would ask me, "What exactly do you do?"

Here I am at 44 years old, recovered from being extremely overweight, experiencing an incredible life, having a healthy/fit/lean body, getting compliments, being noticed, and I want this for everyone! This is what I'm about. So you see, when I say that KB training has been a miracle in my life, I mean it. And until, or unless, you meet me in person, or talk with me in person, you cannot fully understand the excitement and energy I have about sharing this miracle.

Of course I try and post complimentary photos, I don't walk around "flexing". But I routinely hear comments like, "You work out, don't you?" or "Oh, you don't have to worry about calories...look how tiny you are!", I was even asked once "How do you keep your girlish figure?" LOL Can you imagine? I never could!

26 comments:

leslie said...

You just keep doing what you're doing, Tracy! I find it amazing that someone would say that. My training doesn't even come close to the intensity of your training, and yet my arms are more cut, and I'm tighter overall, and I really do credit kettlebells for this. And if I trained as hard as you do, I'm sure I'd get even more benefits.

Heard a song you might want to check out: Jill Scott's "Hate on Me." It was written after the singer saw a "We hate Jill Scott" website.

Royce said...

Tracy those dudes ( well dude ) hate on everyone, if you name gets mentioned you'll get hate.
Just let it roll off your back.

The only thing you have to do answer their insults is look in the mirror.
Outstanding job.

Russ Beye said...

This is the exact mentality I recently talked about last night in blog Tracy! Go figure! I never understood why people feel the need to be judge, jury, and executioner on other people's success. Oh well, as long as you feel good who cares? It's not like that person (or people) can actually hurt your credibility at this point.

Howie B said...

I've heard about these forums mentioned in the past. Glad I have NO idea what they are. I like to keep my focus on the positive. And your blog is one of my "usuals". I've said it before and I'll say it again, you Reifkind's are amazing! Keep up the awesome work!

Bill Fox said...

The litmus test for being fit and lean is being trashed on IGX. You have joined an elite group. Welcome to the club.

Yoana Teran Snideman said...

I am with you Tracy!

You have done an amazing job.

Kettlebells are an amazing tool. The best of the best!!! They have been helping me before and during my whole pregnancy and I know that I will get a fit body back thanks to Kettlebells.

Congratulations on ALL your hard work!

Mark Reifkind said...

bill

thanks again for your support and kind words over there.it is greatly appreciated and won't be forgotten.

Mark Reifkind said...

the irony to all this is that the right question to be asking is not 'did she gain all that muscle swinging a kettlebell?', but HOW did she swing the kettlebell to gain that muscle?
TracyStyle!

fawn said...

Anyone wondering where your muscle came from has never trained with you... I have! I don't wonder why you look the way you do! I know from first hand experience!

The wondering person in question should simply follow your training schedule for a week... if swinging a KB for an hour doesn't make him(her) puke, (s)he will know!

Royce said...

" but HOW did she swing the kettlebell to gain that muscle?
TracyStyle! "

So so very true.

It's like asking a rich person how they got rich then telling them it can't be done that way.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Royce, I loved your last analogy, thanks for that!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Russ, people judge to deflect attention from themselves...to make themselves feel better. Misery loves company, well, they can have their misery.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Howie, I don't usually feel like wasting my time sounding like I need to defend myself, but my response is really my way of saying, "I'm not scared of you! LOL"

Tracy Reifkind said...

Bill,

I see it exactly that way...it's almost an honor!

Tracy Reifkind said...

yoana,

It's easy for people that don't train hard to comprehend what training hard can do for you....they should try it before they talk trash about it!

JR said...

Tracy,

Great work and great response to those haters!

Against my better judgment I went to that place and looked up what all the fuss was about. Boy, I should have stayed away from that crap.

They even accused you of using drugs to get as lean as you are!

Sickening.

GWKBR!

Anon

Jordan Vezina said...

It seems like simple common sense that hard work equals progress and development, but I think there are way more people out there that would rather believe this pill or that powder equals development. It makes it easier to duck out of the hard work. Myself and anyone else who has been following your blog has seen how hard you work, and it's definitely a bummer that weak people would try to take that away from you.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Anon,

Drugs??? Now I'm really laughing! I'm kind of old for all that stuff, don't you think?

Besides, if all it took was drugs, don't you think I would of taken them 10 freakin years ago and avoided all this???? DUH!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Jordan,

Thanks for commenting. Anyone that has done a lick of work knows what the payoffs for hard, consistent, training and dieting are. Maybe they should try it before they doubt it!

jen-shaktifit said...

Hey Tracy,

GAWWWD! people will always try to lessen your success out of pure jealousy and even ignorance.

It's funny, I have been telling everyone about you and your transfomation and using your story as motivation for them and then there is someone out there bashing it...

Well I am gonna continue to tell people about you and praise your amazing work...

Rock on girl!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Jen,

Thanks. I wish I didn't have to go on the defensive...but it sure brought some positive attention and support!

JR said...

Tracy,

Did you use *anything* other than kettlebells and a sensible diet?

I don't think you did and I hate to even ask it, but a plain answer will silence the haters over there.

Anon

Tracy Reifkind said...

Anon,

Post your name and I'll post an answer....or...are you one of the haters?

JR said...

So now I am a hater, too?

Sorry to bring it up. Peace.

GWKBR!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Anon,

To answer your question, unless you don't read or undertand english, I pretty much spelled it out in this post as well as documented how I workout, and what I eat for just about a year now.

And as far as "silencing" the haters,...the threads been dead for over a week now...you seem to be the only one interested in keeping this ridiculousness going.

Besides I got alot more support and respect than hate.

If you don't post with a name, expect to have future comments deleted.

JR said...

Great attitiude, tracy! Keep up the good work!

peace,

Anon.