Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Show Up, Shut Up, and Do The Work





Before I post my actual workout, the point I want to make is that, the most important part of any training program, not just when you are a beginner, is to show up consistently, and do the work, consistently. It's not always fun, especially in the beginning while we get in the habit of adding yet another thing to our busy lives, in my case the KB exercise options are limited because I can't snatch heavy overhead,(not even the 12kg yet), for at least another week, so I have to rebuild my base training with swings, and that can get boring when workouts can last 45 minutes!

But I'm not complaining at all! I love it, because I know what the pay off is! If I could do nothing more than 2 handed swings, I would do hundreds...one after another...varying the reps, weights, intensity of movement, etc. Sometimes the challenge is the boredom of high reps!

Starting again with my training is exciting because I should be able to make some big changes in my body quickly, and I know how to do it! Even though my body is basically the same size and weight as pre-op, I know, and can feel the details of the differences. For instance, my butt disappeared! Mark said to me, "Last on, first off!" I'm still carrying a lot of bloat around my midsection and now that I can work up a good sweat (I get to go back to Bikram yoga on Monday!), I'll combine some long sweaty workouts with a better diet to get back to my former leanness.

11:00am KB
AM weight 133.0

Warm up

40 2 hand swings w/12kg, 1 min work, 1 min rest x 5 sets = 10 min.

Work sets (2 hand swing ladders)

10 reps per weight, 12, 14, 16, 14, 12kg (50 reps), 1.5 min work
1 min rest
10 reps per weight, 16, 14, 12, 14, 16kg (50 reps), 1.5 min work
1 min rest (video demo #1)

Alternating these 2 sets 6x each = 30 min.

20 reps per, 12, 14, 16kg, 1.5 min work
1 min rest
20 reps per, 16, 14, 12kg, 1.5 min work,
1 min rest (video demo #2)

Last 2 sets = 5 min Total workout 45 min.

I got distracted with emails, phone calls etc. and didn't get to this workout until much later in the morning than I wanted to, but as I've said in the past...I will never chose to miss a KB workout....never!

Life is good.

PS this is the first workout post op swinging the 16kg!

3 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

great post and oh, so true.Consistency, followed by progression are the real keys to progress.SO many are searching high and low for the newest, the latest and the greatest when the answer is right there in front of them; dont' miss workouts and go harder and do more when you can.
That is how you made your progress and how you will get back to and exceed your previous condition.You know the secret and are willing to actually do it.

Bill Fox said...

Simple, but not easy.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Bill,

Have I heard that before??? LOL

I can't wait to get my snatches back! But in the mean time.....swing, swing, swing!