Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Yoga and KBs.



One of the benefits of KB training bare foot is the strenth and stability that you can build in your feet. During the winter it is too cold most times to workout without shoes, and I noticed the effects of losing that benefit most in poses like these. Now that the spring is here I prefer to train without shoes and I'm even looking forward to doing some workouts at the beach this summer in the sand.

I'm going to be changing back to my original Bikram Yoga Studio much to my disappointment. I switched studios because of a groin injury I got praticing on a slippery carpet and the owner was not willing to change the position of the poses done this way, and to my knowledge has not changed the carpet. But with 36 available class times a week (5-7 per day) compared to 13 (1-3 per day) my practice is suffering because of the difficulty fitting a regular time into my schedule. So I've made the decision to adjust and go back once my current membership is up in June. I am excited to go back to 5:30am classes 3 x a week.

Monday AM weight 129.2
7:00am KB snatches
5:15 Bikram yoga

Menu

4:30-9:30am coffee w/cream 70 cal.
11:15 strawberries 150 cal.
11:30 broccoli and tuna salad 520 cal.
3:15 ice cream (just a few bites, really!) 100 cal.
3:30 chili pepper soup w/ground beef (6oz) and squash 500 cal.
7:15 yogurt, 1 c. full fat maple & 1 c. nonfat plain 340 cal (220 + 120)

Total calories 1680

Tuesday AM weight 128.2
7:30am 1 hour 10 min. walk

Menu

4:00-9:30am coffee, espresso w/cream 140 cal.
11:00 almonds (5) 30 cal.
11:30 steel cut oats w/milk and sugar 220 cal.
12:30 stir-fry w/teriyaki beef (6oz) 550 cal.
3:30 chocolate sucker 70 cal.
6:30 spinach salad w/tomato, chicken (4oz) and anchovy dressing 450 cal.

Total calories 1460

My stir-fry had 1 large carrot, 1 red bell pepper, 1 red onion and 10-12 stalks of asparagus all sliced thin and stir-fried in 1 tbl. oil. Garlic, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice and zest, brown sugar and red pepper flakes were added at the end. The flank steak was marinated in teriyaki and then cooked under the broiler. I had a whole 6 ounces because I had a hard workout yesterday and I need the protein for my workout tomorrow.

I spent the morning walking, shopping, cooking and portioning meals for the next few days. My body was really sore from my workout yesterday, it's been a while since that's happened, but it felt good.

I know Mark gets embarassed when I write about my compulsive overeating, it's difficult for him to understand the insanity of it all. But I don't really take it too seriously because I know I have things under control most of the time. Like the last 3 days, nothings been a problem and I don't foresee a problem until my cheat day, and then I'll try again, and I will get it handled, that I'm sure of. But 6 days out of seven ain't bad.

I don't have a fear of gaining my weight back, I like the way I eat, I love to cook healthy fresh food, and most importantly I really like being thinner! I feel good about myself and I think I'll keep it this way for a while! I'm fine and my life is good.

10 comments:

Christine said...

Have you thought about just doing yoga at home? I know a studio has it's benefits, but once you've been going long enough, you tend to have the routine down. I stopped going to my favorite studio because of inconvenient class times and no childcare. I still do it at home, though. Best way to wake up, IMO!

Christine said...

Not to be crass, but it's your body, you get to do with it what you want. He doesn't get to be embarassed because he doesn't control your body. And obviously talking about what you eat helps you. Most of all you're being honest, I give you mad amounts of respect for that. You've definitely locked down the discipline thing, there are going to be bumps in the road, no one is perfect.

fawn said...

I love my yoga practice as well... so I know where you are coming from. Can you skip the posture that injured you in the past?

That is one thing I really hate about (yoga) instructors, some insist on "aping" their instructors because they believe their instructors (bikram) are "gurus". Guru or not... still human capable of making mistakes. PLUS, a good instructor teaches to the students in front of him or her... in the present environment.

I could go on and on... I have had some really awesome teachers, but even more shitty teachers that almost ruin a practice for me.

Mark Reifkind said...

Christine, Yoga at home, although I have done it in the past, has absolutely no appeal! Going back to the former studio will solve the scheduling problem.

KB's and walking (without a headset) are all I can stand to do "alone". I need the energy and structire of a class. At least for now.

Mark Reifkind said...

Christine P, You, crass? Never!

Mark just doesn't have the food issues at all. And I think he's just concerened mostly about the public exposure of internet blogging. He's just being protective.

And blogging is what I credit such huge growth in my awareness about these issues. What I have experienced in the last 6 months could not of happened if I didn't have this outlet. I'm more hopeful than ever. (and happier)

Mark Reifkind said...

Fawn, I just have to modify it.

The current studio has such a casual attitude, compared to the Bikram nazis at the first studio, that it took me a while to relax! I've never experienced students using the restroom during class, moving around the floor while others are in balancing poses, talking and joking (including teachers) and , God forbid, leaving class before it was over!

Now I like some of the casualness it'll be interesting going back to such rigidity.

Tracy Reifkind said...

OK I hope you guys figured out that I left those comments and not Mark. I hate this "sign in", "sign out" business. Sorry!

TRACY

Aaron Friday said...

I thought Mark looked a little feminine in those pictures!

fawn said...

OMG, Tracy, I will tell you some stories about going from ridged yoga to casual yoga when I moved from Minneapolis to Hawaii... you will have to send me you e-mail address though....

I have watched William go from the yoga nazi, to someone who is more focused on compassion, while still having a structured class where he is clearly in charge. I like to remind him how soft he has gotten.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Fawn, my e-mail is

tracyrif@yahoo.com