Tuesday, June 26, 2007

One More Thing.....

One more thing about yesterday's swing marathon...my form actually got better as I kept swinging.

Mark was asking me some questions about my form, and I was explaining that the hardest part of the swing for me is the downstroke. The downstroke (for lack of a better description, I don't know what else to call it?), because my strength is in my legs and hips, requires strength from my upperbody and can really put strain on my mid-back (lats?) as the weight pulls me down and back, and then my lower body takes over using the momentum generated to "pop" it out of the bottom.

I have to use my legs to absorb the shock of the weight of the downstroke by using more of a hinge/squat, and this becomes more apparent the longer I swing, it has to, as I start to experience fatigue. And then as the weight is propelled forward and up, my upper body guides the weight up and then takes over as it comes down and then the whole thing starts over again.

The swing has to be supported by all of the intregral parts in order to swing at that level. And therefore my form got better and stronger, more efficient and my reps increased.

Oh yea, and my feet went numb, as they sunk into the lawn, during the last 2 minutes!

3 comments:

Christine said...

First of all, holy freakin crap.

Secondly, that's funny, my feet tingle when I do long DL sets. :)

Tracy Reifkind said...

That's how I feel about putting in 84 hours /week at work...Holy freakin' crap.

You work way harder than I do...give me a kettlebell anyday over a REAL JOB!!!!

Christine said...

I would say something like "you continue to set the bar high" but in this case, I'm on the ground at sea level, and you're somewhere around the peak of Mount Everest. Really. Wow.