Thursday, February 8, 2007

Lucky Girl

I never considered myself a "lucky person". I never win drawings of any kind, I never find money on the ground, and I wasn't born with the genetics to eat anything I want to. Mark and I have had to work hard for everything that we have. We won't have any inheritence coming to us, we don't play the Lotto and last time I checked no one is handing us any free money!

But when I start to think about all the things I don't have, I have to admit to myself all the things I do have. And the luckiest thing that has ever happened to me has been being married to Mark! He has saved me. He takes care of me. He is the smartest, most responsible, most honorable person I know. Not to mention the hardest working.

Because of his hard work I'm lucky enough to have the time and money to go to a yoga class, take an hour long walks, shop and cook for my family and do many other things that I love. He has afforded me the luxury to be very selfish. He has always loved me, accepted and respected me. He has always seen my potential and believed in me. And I'm so lucky to be sharing this part of our lives together.

We originally met at Gold's Gym in San Jose 20 years ago. He was training proffesional bodybuilder Scott Wilson at the time. I thought he was a geek. I never knew him as a gymnast or cyclist or marathoner, but I have known him as a bodybuilder and powerlifter both as a competitor and coach. And although during our relationship I have "lifted weights" and did a little powerlifting, kettlebells have brought us back together in a way I thought we never would connect again. (especially after spending a decade of my life so overweight)

I have been lucky enough to have had to listen to his conversations with training partners, read articles that he has written about training, and been witness to his constant research over the years. He has knowingly and unknowingly shared his knowledge with me. And somewhere in the back of my brain I must of been paying attention! Even just this morning I was reading his latest post on his blog I felt so proud of his obvious dedication to his training and his life as an athlete. The same dedication that he has shown me, the luckiest girl in the world, for the past 20 years.

Tuesday AM weight 127.4
3:30 Bikram yoga
6-7:00 KB swings at Girya

Menu

4:30-9:30am coffee w/cream 85 cal.
8:30-9:30 roasted veg/fruit, rutabaga. parsnips, shallots, apple 1/2 pear 550 cal.
1:30 yogurt shake w/fiber, blueberries and strawberries 400 cal.
prunes (4) 80 cal.
5:30 broccoli salad w/tuna 250 cal.
apple 120 cal.
prunes (3) 60 cal.
candy, 1 sm. candy cane, 2 jelly type candies 150 cal.

Total calories 1575

After yoga at 5:00pm I was heading up to Girya in Palo Alto and still felt hungry, not hungry but unsatisfied. I remembered I had a candy cane in my purse along with 2 small Sunkist candies leftover from the holidays and I ate them looking for some sort of satisfaction. I felt like pulling over somewhere for some more serious candy, like M&M's and had to talk myself out of it. I was definately in the mood for a mini binge. When I got to Girya I found some prunes, lucky me, my favorite and managed to only eat 3. I did alittle swinging with my client and forgot about food.

Wednesday AM weight 126.8
6:30 Vinyasa yoga (great class)

Menu

coffee w/cream, cocoa 200 cal.
9:30 1 hard boiled egg 70 cal.
1:00 broccoli salad w/dried cranberries, tuna and egg white salad 400 cal.
1:15 1/3 of the veg and pea w/ham soup I brought for dinner 100 cal.
4:00 apple 100 cal.
5:30 ham and yellow pea soup w/kale and squash 300 cal.
3 small tootsie rolls 100 cal.

Total calories 1270

4 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Awesome Post Tracy. Great to see you that you appreciate all the hard work Rif has put into his career and your marriage. Undoubtedly I'm sure Rif feels lucky and blessed to have you as his wife! You guys are blessed to have each other!

Tracy Reifkind said...

"Blessed" is certainly another way to describe it.

Yoana Teran Snideman said...

Tracy,

I needed to tell you how much I like to read your blog. It is amazing! It is 100% REAL.... REAL LIFE!!!

Thank you for sharing it with us!

.... and do never forget that you are a very lucky woman!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Yoana, It's great to read your comment, thanks for the compliment.

It's also nice to see your blog updated! I hope you have the time to keep contributing to all of us interested in what you're up to and how your training is coming along. Thanks again.