Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Spaghetti Squash

This was my lunch meal today;

Spaghetti Squash, Roasted Tomatoes, Italian Sausage and Parmesean Cheese.

I microwave my spaghetti squash, cut in half, cut sides down, for 10 min. This picture is 1/2 of a 3 lb squash. I tossed the squash with 1/2 of the tomatoes I roasted on Sunday, OMG, they were awesome.....sweet and flavorful. I added 3 oz cooked italian sausage and 2 tbl. parmesean cheese. I'll use the othe 1/2 of the roasted tomatoes on Thursday.

Early this morning before 9:15 yoga I made a big batch of veg soup.... orrechietti (pasta) with tomatoes, butternut squash and celery leaves, oh yea, and bacon....and I couldn't resist the big huge bundles of basil at the farmers market on Sunday, so I made pesto, 2 kinds, regular basil/pine nut, and Fawn Friday's cilantro/pitachio pesto, to which I added a jalapeno pepper.

Tuesday AM weight 130.2
11:30am weight 130.0, 18.8% BF
9:15 Bikram yoga
12:30 demo swings @Girya
6:30pm 50 min walk

Menu

4:30-11:30 coffee w/cream 100 cal.
5:30-9:00 misc. tastings while cooking (100 cal.)
12:00 celery, nuts, dried fruit, 300 + 200 cal.
3:00 spaghetti squash 100 cal, tomatoes 150 cal,sausage 200 cal., cheese 80 cal
3:45 1/2 lg honeydew melon 250 cal.
5:30 grilled squash 100 cal.

Total calories 1630

I've been eating alot of nuts lately, and not weighing or measuring them first....that has to change...that's going to change.....calories in nuts adds up fast. Also the dried fruit thing...lots of condensed sugar...that's going to change. I went to bed last night a little hungry, I want to get my weight back down by a pound or so, and I'm just eating too much high calorie foods (nuts!)

I love cooking, I love food, I love my life.

10 comments:

Kim said...

Hi Tracy! Recently discovered KBs a/w/a your blog. Really enjoying the vids & food pics/recipes! Is there a nutritional philosophy/book that you reccommend, or that inspires you? Thanks so much!

Christine said...

nuts are really becoming my downfall - especially coupled with dried fruit. I was horrified when I actually checked the calories on the amount I'd been eating in a day! Yikes!

Michelle said...

Kim, I'm with you. After accidentally coming across Tracy's blog looking for "clean" recipes, I got interested in KBs. Bought my first 4kg (it's so cute!). Not as easy as Tracy makes it look though - I'm swinging 20 minutes two times a week in addition to my regular weight-training/aerobic routine. I'm looking forward to learning more - and Tracy's blog (as well as Mark's) is great for inspiration, motivation, and information.

Michelle said...

Tracy, you are right - nuts and seeds are very high in calories (1/4 cup of walnuts is 200 cal - and a 1/4 cup is not much!), however the fat in nuts and seeds are extremely good for you and aid in fat loss. The key, as you know, is to measure and not overindulge. I make my own trail mix (1/4 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut) put it in a baggie and keep it with me wherever I go. Whenever I get a pang of hunger I eat a small handful of mix and eat an apple, if I have one. It is very satisfying and any cravings I have seem to dissipate.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Kim,

Welcome! Just cookbooks....no nutritional advice, just common sense for me!

Lots more food/recipes/cooking techniques to come.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Christine,

Exactly my point! I'm fully aware of the calorie count, that's why I know what the problem is!

Damn!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Michelle,

You need to invest in a heavier bell, and find a certified trainer that can show you how to use it! I don't know how much you weigh or what your current level of phyical activity is, but you should be swinging a 8kg (18lbs) at least!

As far as the nuts go, I used to measure out 2 tbl. of PNB (peanut butter), and 1/4c. raisins, but I graduated (LOL) to my own trail mix too...the problem is I've gotten lazy about weighing the nuts, I guess I wanted to live in a little denial. But it's better than ice cream!

Michelle said...

Tracy,

Thank you for your response. I understand that a certified trainer is the way to go, and I am seeking one out in my area (not any directly where I live, so I have to keep looking); however, I have a long history (20 years) of bodybuilding/weight training experience and I am no stranger to the importance of good form, which is the reason I started with such a small bell. I want to learn how to do it right first before moving up.

fawn said...

Tracy, the jalapeƱo is a great idea! I love spaghetti squash...

Tracy Reifkind said...

Fawn,

I put jalapeno in everthing! And, it was a good idea..thanks!