Saturday, September 15, 2007

Why So Much About Food?


I realize the exposure my blog gets mostly comes from the kettlebell community, and kettlebell training is such an important part of my life that I got a tattoo that represents my appreciation for it! And I also realize that the reputation of Mark's blog, his expertise and his position as a senior RKC gets me alot of exposure. But my blog is about me! And a huge part of my life, (and for most people because we all have to eat), is about food and my relationship with food.

I wrote a post a few weeks ago titled "Food First", and it was my intention to express my belief in taking more time to prioritize the importance and responsiblity of feeding and nourishing our bodies in a way that makes us healthier. And that also includes being of a healthy weight.

There has been so much I want to say about my discoveries on the subject of food and this is just the beginning. It is not my intention to expect anyone to eat the foods that I eat, or prepare all of the food in a way that I do, or plan meals the way that I do.....it is my intention, like my training, to live as an example.

In this country (especially), and at this time, many of us, even our children, are not eating in a healthy way. We all blame our busy, fast paced, lives on choosing convenient, cheap, over flavored, chemical laden foods that we think are doing no harm. Well think again, and harder and more honestly.

If you don't have any "issues" with food you are in the minority. As people interested in the physical culture of sport and fitness performance we have to, or should, pay attention to the food we eat. And many of us have clients, friends and family that can benefit from our examples.

Food is one of my passions, and if I can encourage, promote, and share the motivation to make quality, fresh, healthy, nutritious, food choices I will continue to do that.

Life is good.
Food is good.
Good food is life.

The picture above is my broccoli salad, (I call it nature's plunger), raw broccoli, red cabbage. carrot, jalapeno, grapes. The dressing is one of the few "store bought" dressings I use, it's tasty, low cal, and the ingredients are decent. The protein I usually mix with it is 1 can of tuna w/1 tbl mayo.

PS This is my "actual" lunch salad, it measures about 4 cups of veggies, 4oz grapes (60 cal.), 4 tbl dressing (140 cal.), (not shown) 1 can tuna (150 cal + 1 tbl. mayo 100 cal), total calories around 500.

18 comments:

ColeC said...

Very well said! I think we all have food issues, whether we admit it or not.

I enjoy your blog because you give me new ideas of how to use certain vegies. I know I'd walk in the grocery store, see all the vegies displayed so nicely, but think, what the heck do I do with that?? I like the fact that you show pictures too. You have educated me for sure, and I thank you for that.

Happiness Within said...

Tracy,

I love that Spicy Peanut Dressing from TJ's. I also enjoy the Champagne Pear Gorgonzola. I hope to see more of your homemade dressings in future posts.

Tamikka

Lauren Brooks said...

Trader Joes's dressings rock! I love the Spicy Peanut and Champagne Pear Gorgonzola as well! Food is wonderful.

Very creative snack. I may have to try that blend sometime.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Colette,

Yeah! Now that makes it all worth it!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Tamikka,

Dressings are so easy, I rarely make them too complicated...it's the salad ingredients that should be the focus.

For instance I would rather put real pears, and real gorgonzola in my salad with a simple viniagrette of champange vinegar and oil, a little S&P, etc.!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Lauren,

It's funny because my three stores I shop at are Whole Foods, of course (when I can't get to a farmers market), Trader Joes, and Safeway.

I'll have to write a post about how I use those 3 stores, because how I shop is very specific.

Michelle said...

Tracy,

I was curious, what do you consider a portion size when it comes to your soups and salads (including added protein and carbs)? Do you base it on one-cup servings, or do you eat until you are full?

Michelle

Tracy Reifkind said...

Michelle,

I'm so glad you asked for clarification about the subject of portion size.

The protein and carb portions of my soup and salad meals are, what most people would consider, "normal portions"...in other words, my protein (meat usually) would be around 4 oz., and I dice my meat into bite size pieces (to get a little in each bite), and my carbs are the same, 1/2 c. to 1 c., beans, corn rice, etc., pasta is usually weighed.

The veggies however, are unlimited! My soup portion can be as much as 6 cups! and my salads are at least 3-4 cups of raw veggies.

I'll have to write a post detailing this more, thanks for the question, Tracy

Johnny said...

Great stuff!
You are right on about "food issues" -- I'm a bachelor road musician-turned-student (!) -- let ME tell you about some food issues!
Striving to take that extra 10 minutes a day to chop some veggies and pack some meals for work or school comes back 100-fold in the health benefit department for sure...
Now if I can just make my lunch look as good as your salad...

Tracy Reifkind said...

Johnny,

I can't believe that already a few of my friends have benefited from my All Day Lunch posts. The reaction is so worth the time it takes me to take pics and get them on my blog, because they're bringing food to work with them MOST of the time.

It's not that hard!

Johnny said...

Aha, I see...
I didn't realize that this was part of an ongoing thing...
Are these posts all under "All Day Lunch?"

Dave Clary said...

Keep the food posts coming!! I've converted to a veggie based diet thanks to a link from Rif's blog to Marks Daily Apple. My lunch everyday is very similar to your salad--lots of different veggies, some fruit, and a protein source. I love it and I've dropped 17 pounds in a five weeks.

Tracy Reifkind said...

johnny,

I just started posting pictures of my all day Wed. lunch on Thursday's, and I'll continue to do so. It's not like I don't do it regardless, make my lunch that is, not take pics,lol.

I have endless food posts I can't keep up....I eat everyday, LOL, so I have food to share everyday, if I wanted to.

I realize that some may get bored, but all they have to do is click their mouse!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Dave,

Exactly!! And doesn't it all taste so good! 17 lbs....WOW!

Lots of food, lots of training, lots of pictures and video to come.

Johnny said...

That's a great idea, Tracy.
I am brand new to blogging, and I've found that having to put good habits in a journal form helps to solidify their presence in your life as habits, for sure.
I haven't brought diet into my journals, but I'll keep watching what others do, and maybe I'll get inspired.
BTW, what is your meal schedule like? Several smaller meals?

Michelle said...

Tracy,

I just wanted to say that I made your base vegetable soup this weekend - a heaping potful to last me the week - and just added whatever protein I had in the fridge - really delicious and very filling. I am really liking your recipe ideas.

Michelle N.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Johnny,

I am not a believer in many small meals. For me, personally, I prefer to eat 450-600 cal. meals, that means I only get 3!

I don't usually eat until around 11:00-12:30 and I have been known to eat 2 meals back to back, if I still feel hungry.

Until recently I never ate after 6pm, I would say I kept that habit for over 2 years, but because of my evening yoga class schedule, I've been having a hard time sticking to a set schedule.

Ideally, I would love to NOT eat after 4pm, I know that sounds extreme, but as long as I get in my calories, I feel best in the morning.

PS I wake up between 4-4:30am, so not eating until 11:00, I've already been up for 7 hours! And I go to bed before 9pm, most evenings.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Michelle,

I'll be looking for your soup recipes soon!

We're coming into fall and adding diced (1") butternut squash, at the time of adding the stock, (or broth) is really good.

In fact, if you are ever so inclined to look it up, I posted a recipe for butternut squash soup w/pear earlier in the year, maybe Jan or Feb.?