Monday, September 24, 2007

A Yellow and Purple Day (at the farmers market)

I went to the Campbell Farmers Market on Sunday. The purpose of buying fresh food is to eat it while it's fresh! So I have to resist the urge to "overbuy". Since I can get more than decent organic produce daily from Whole Foods, what I can't get, like different varieties of certain veggies, and produce just harvested, in other words, the freshest and most unique produce is what I look for.
Here is one example of produce I cannot get at the grocery store. I spotted these baby eggplant, white, yellow, green/purple and had to buy some. I was just thinking that I wanted to use up the rest of last weeks tomatoes with eggplant in a sauce for pasta, perfect.

I bought some white baby eggplant a few weeks earlier at the Flea market, because I noticed that the Vietnamese shoppers were going crazy over it, and had to try it! I sometimes wish I could speak their language and ask them for cooking lessons!

Here is what I brought home from the Market, it seemed to be a "yellow and purple" day.

Top left in colander;

broccolini (I can't get organic in the stores, this is for salad)

purple bell peppers! (I have never seen them in purple before)

baby eggplant, all colors

yellow swiss chard (I love when they bundle only the yellow color! The red color in the "rainbow" always bleeds onto the other colors)

tiny red (purple!) onions, (I love the small size, because, usually, I only need a small amount for salads, and the vendor gave me a free bulb of garlic!)

1 purple, and 2 green plums

1 1/2lb. red flame grapes ( I ate most of them on the way home!)

Brentwood corn, 5 ears (I have to buy "just picked that morning" corn!)

I'm usually busy Sunday mornings and rarely get a chance to go the the Farmers Market in Campbell...so it was a good day! A good day in my good life!

3 comments:

Kori Bliffert, NASM-CPT said...

Those veggies look great. My question is how do you know what to do with them? I love to cook and we eat a lot of veggies, but I never know what to do with any "different" veggies besides squash, spinach, etc.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Kori,

I look up recipes and ideas on the internet.

I know I always say, "I'll write a post about that", but I will!

I am not a woman of few words, or opinions! Questions like these are always an opportunity to expand and share how I've figured things out.

Kori Bliffert, NASM-CPT said...

No that is great! Expand away! I was just wondering b/c you use a lot of veggies that most don't (at least not here in Wisconsin) and I would love to start using them.