Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Walk In My Shoes

OK, now I might get in some trouble here, but so what! I cannot help but think that anyone who has never had to lose a significant amount of weight, or who has never had "food issues" could ever really comprehend, have compassion, or give advice to someone that does, or has! There, I said it! We all know, scientically, how to lose weight, (eat less, exercise more), but it's so much more than A+B=C....it comes down to motivation and readiness. Both of those things are not scientific.

Motivation. Can you give someone motivation? No. Can you say something or do something that might motivate someone? Yes. But what? I don't know. But, what I do know is that if you need to lose weight and get "in shape", you,

#1 do not lack will power
#2 are not stupid
#3 are not lazy
#4 are not a victim

You may not be ready....but you are,

#1 strong
#2 smart
#3 hard working
#4 deserving

When I listen to someone that has never gone through what I've gone through, try and tell some one how to lose weight, I just have to shake my head. I have to shake my head, because I know it's not just the information that's needed, it's the energy behind the information. And the energy from someone that has done it (lost weight) will always be different than the energy from someone that hasn't! That, I believe.

Now I'm not saying that there haven't been trainers, or coaches, that have helped people lose weight and get in shape, of course there has, and there are, but if you haven't walked in my shoes, I think there are still judgements made about those of us who have been, or are currently overweight. I don't have those judgements.

And because I don't have those judgements I can only give a certain amount of energy to someone asking me for advice. Yes it comes down to motivation, but maybe more importantly, readiness. Readiness and motivation go hand in hand. You may think you're motivated, but if you're not ready, you will talk yourself out of doing what you know you need to do.

So what am I trying to say? I guess I'm trying to say that I really understand.....really.....truly. Your life is good, and you derserve to look and feel your best, for yourself, and for your families, really, truly. You can do it, really, truly. You will do it......really.....truly.

Tracy

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Well said.

Christine said...

Here here!

Diana said...

I have read your blog for a while now and have enjoyed it greatly. I have just recently started working with KB's through my trainer and enjoy the workout they give me. AMAZED by the workout they give me! I just had to comment on this blog. All I can say is "well put".
I have been blessed by being highly motivated through all this, but being "ready" to do this had been my biggest bonus! I like to live by this:
"I can't become what I need by remaining who I am".
Thanks for all your interesting thoughts and helpful videos on the workouts. Look forward to reading many more.

fawn said...

As a trainer who has never had to lose weight or has had over-eating issues... I have to say you are right on. I have no clue what to say to my clients who have these struggles. I refer them to your blog! Any advice you can send my way is appreciated.

We all have "issues" to work through, they simply show up differently. A supportive atmosphere and compassion are universal... but knowing what to say (and what NOT to say), that is insightfulness that I have to learn.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Michelle, Christine,

Thanks.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Lucyfan,

Welcome!

"Your life will not change, if YOU don't change" Variation of the same theme! Right on!

I know what's so amazing about KB's, but whats your experience... please share!

Frozen Molasses said...

All I can say is that you GET IT. There are a lot of people out there that forget what it was like after they lost the weight but you seem to still understand.

I read what you wrote with tears in my eyes as someone who lost the weight, regained and is now struggling again with an even bigger burden to lose.

Thank you for adding to the community with your views.

Royce said...

Great post.

Tracy Reifkind said...

BCS,

I think one of the reasons why it's still so close to me is in the fact that I want THIS for everyone! I really do!

I want everyone to feel as good as I feel, to feel as strong as I feel, to feel lucky as I feel....and I have the luxury to be able to spend the time spreading my words!

The extra pounds are not a burden, they are an opportunity for you to become stronger, better, and you know you can. You are where you are, so what, start moving forward in the direction you need to go.

We move forward, or we move backward, nothing stays still....chose forward...start feeling better, now.

I have never regretted the time I spent overweight...and Ill explain in the next post!

Diana said...

Tracy,
I've just started working with the KB's in the last 4 months, but unfortunately, I had to hold off some due to a injury I HAD to wait to heal before going all out. I have just done some of the swings and the snatch is my favorite move. I've only been able to use my right arm for the last 4 months w/KB's so looking forward to getting back into it full force. Left side is 95%, and have started to 1 hand swing with it again-feels good!
My favorite workout I've done with the KB's was when I was cutting my grass with it dragging behind me. That worked me like no other workout has!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Lucyfan,

OH....YOU'RE THE ONE!!!!!

You are practically famous! I hear you've lost some weight too?

Diana said...

Tracy,
I don't think I would say "famous", more like "foolish" for coming up with that crazy thing to do a KB!

Yes, a little weight has fallen-50lbs.
Only 1 or 2 more lbs to go!