Sunday, March 9, 2008

Salad Bowl

I eat a salad almost everyday, if not everyday. I like to have one raw vegetable meal, and one cooked vegetable meal daily, so I always have fresh veggies in my fridge. There is rarely, or never, lack of salad ingredients and I'm so used to making my single serving, maindish salads, dressings and all, that it takes, most times, less than 15 min to put together.




I use a large metal mixing bowl and alot of times I start by making the dressing first at the bottom of the bowl. I place the bowl in my sink underneath were my cutting board is, so I can just cut and scrape right into the bowl. Usually, first the main green, cabbage most often, and then the rest of the veggies, one on top of the next, fall into the bowl. I cut enough to match the amount of dressing...S&P and toss, That's it! Sometimes I'll prep enough for 2 salads, one for the next day. ( I won't dress a salad until I'm ready to eat it)

Vegetables I never go 24 hours without having in my fridge (or pantry)

Green cabbage
carrot
celery
jalapeno
spinach
onion
garlic

48 hours

red cabbage
broccoli
red bell pepper
green onion
mushrooms
kale/chard
cilantro

lemon/lime

And I always have some sort of cooked protein ready to add to make it a whole meal,

chicken/turkey
pork
tuna
salmon (in season)

Shrimp (summer)


Seasonal and other goodies

tomatoes

sprouts (bean)

beets

apple

pineapple

dried fruits (raisins, dates)

beans

corn

boiled egg brown rice

mushrooms

grilled squashes

roasted veggies (brussels)

etc.....

Salad is good.

(Top salad, broccoli, red cabbage, carrot, red bell, green onion, and jalapeno. I dressed this one with Trader Joes Spicy Peanut dressing and added canned tuna. Bottom Salad, green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, broccoli (just a small amount, because I had it!), jalapeno, green onion, cilantro. I dressed this salad with my curry dressing and added leftover diced pork tenderloin. Bottom photo is grilled squash and chard on a stovetop grill)

2 comments:

fawn said...

Tracy, Your salads are super yummy! We will have to have a salad chapter in our cookbook!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Fawn,

The salad & soup chapters, for me, would be the biggest! I have radicchio in my fridge right now waiting to go into the next warm spinach salad!!!!