Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Warm Up

In the past couple of weeks alot of focus has been on this "high volume" style of training. I have been swinging high volume almost since being introduced to KB's, in fact I do consider it "my style". I started by combining all of the movements I knew, together, for long 2-2 1/2 min. sets, for 2 reasons....to not be bored, and to get in the time/sets/reps. I didn't know it at the time, but the effect for fat loss and conditioning was something that I had never experienced before. Little did I know I was on to something.

I don't believe I do anything special and believe that most people can build up to high volume workouts fairly quickly....I know my clients do. Here's an example.

Monday I decided to, instead of my usual 10 min warm up before my own workout, swing with a 10am client, "I go, you, go" style, and then go home and do my actual workout. My client is a man my exact age (44), that, in his description, would like to lose about 20 lbs. He is a golfer, but had not done any regular "workouts" in a long time.

Yesterday was his 14th workout with me in 8 weeks, his first workouts, while learning the swing, consisted of maybe 10-16 sets of 10-14 reps, along with various drills to get his swing form down. Here was our exact workout together;

Warm up

20 2 hand swings w/12kg, 30 sec. work,
30 sec rest x 5 sets = 2.5 min
30 transfers w/12kg, 45 sec work,
45 sec rest x 5 sets = 4.5 min
Total 7 min. (250 swings)

Work sets (alernating)

40 reps w/12kg, 1 swing 1 transfer (20 x), 1 min work,
1 min rest
40 2 hand swings (alternating w/16kg & 12kg as needed), 1 min work,
1 min rest
x 5 sets each, 10 sets total
Total time 20 min. (400 swings)

10 sets of 10 reps various swings
, 15 sec work, 15 sec rest,
5 min. (100 swings)

Total workout 32 min. 750 swings

I got him up to 1 minute swing sets within about 5 weeks of training....he showed me yesterday where his "love handles" used to be.....now they're gone!

I'll be posting more about how I start a beginner out to progressively work up to "high volume".

1 comment:

Take One Stripper Pole said...

Tracy-

I am looking forward to your post about building up beginners. I would love to be able to swing more than 30 times in a row for one set. I am still trying to decipher all the kb speak too. I figured out what rest means though! :)